Transitioning into Training Pants
by Page Turner
“Moving into training pants is a key sign for your child that he or she is becoming a Big Kid and therefore should start using the potty,” says former Pull-Ups® Potty Training Partner, Page Turner. Here are some helpful insights from Turner and the Pull-Ups® Brand for transitioning tots to training pants and completing potty training.
- Build excitement around the milestone of moving into trainings pants that are just like Big Kid underwear. To get my twins excited about becoming big girls, I had them store their training pants in the dresser drawer just like real underwear.
- Have your child practice pulling them on and off themselves before starting to use them. In my case, practice really did make perfect!
- Try giving your tot the chance to sit on the potty — first with the pants on and later with them off. I had my girls sit on the potty after they helped decorate it with stickers, which really helped create excitement about the whole process.
- Teach your child about the graphics that disappear when wet and indicate the difference between wet and dry.
- Celebrate when your toddler correctly uses the training pants to encourage Big Kid behavior. Or try celebrating with an outing they enjoy — my kids always love a special trip to the park.
- Once you’ve made the switch out of diapers and into training pants, don’t switch back and forth. It may be confusing and slow down the process. Setbacks are inevitable, but I found my kids made the most progress when I kept them in training pants, even when we went on vacation.